Monday, December 8, 2008

Debbie Downer

Okay, so I was in a weird place at work today. More shaking going on, and that always leads me down bad roads. Anyway..... I saw something tonight that put a true smile on my face and put some Christmas cheer back into my life.

It was Brody's first night up Upward basketball at Middle Valley Baptist. In the same gym, there were special needs kids also practicing. I'm not sure if it was Special Olympics or just a team put together out of a longing for their kids to play with other kids who understand them. I'm telling you, I didn't leave without shedding some true to the bone tears. These children were so loving, accepting and HAPPY it could even melt my Grinch heart. With every attempt each child and family would cheer like the child had won the game of the century. Most of them would then high five and hug each member of the team and the spectators. The more we cheered, the more they loved on us. I have to admit, I cheered just to get some love from those sweet angels. There was one little girl who was so cute that I swear I could have eaten her alive! They totally restored my very weary soul and made me feel something other than tired and jaded. I highly recommend "practice watching" this team. It was better than a night at the movies!

Thanks for letting me be down today and still loving me. I got so many comments from people that didn't want me to post their comments who had similar feelings. It's hard to be depressed during the holidays, especially when you usually aren't depressed about anything. It's easy to say focus on all the blessings when you can't see them for all that is bothering you. I think I've snapped out of my blue streak, thanks to a precious little girl who is certainly special in my book and has a mean lay up! Go Girl!!!

2 comments:

  1. hey girl! glad that God brought that sweet team into your life to brighten your spirit! If you want some Santa believers, come on over.. we are three strong believers over here.. not sure if we will make it until the big day... Tyler is always quick to remind me that it is not just about santa but baby jesus... wow!! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at your Freudian slip. Debbie DOWNer? LOL!!!!!!!!!! Get it? Anyway, I totally wish I could have been there! You know I would have been chatting it up with the mommas in the stands. They would have been like, "Get this crazy lady away from me; I'm trying to watch my kid play ball!"
    :)

    ReplyDelete