Monday, December 8, 2008

Many questions......

Christmas spirit. I wonder what that means to you. I'm having a pretty hard time this year with the whole Christmas Spirit thing. You know, I have decorated my house, decorated my office, gone to parties, hosted parties, etc. but I cannot "feel" the anticipation and excitement that I normally feel. I wonder if it's because I don't have any Santa believers living at my house anymore? I wonder if it's because times are tough financially, and it's hard to get into the spirit when you are on a tight budget? I wonder if it's feeling pressured to buy the perfect thing for children that admittedly cannot think of anything they want or need. I wonder if it's feeling guilty that when people are losing their homes and being laid off in my own company, we are commercializing a holiday that is supposed to help us remember the birth of our Savior. Savior. That is a word that we use lightly, isn't it? I wonder if we truly focused on the birth of our Savior during this season, would I have the right feeling about this Christmas?

I'm not sure where this funk is coming from, probably the news. Every time I watch it I become more and more De-Christmas-tized. I wonder what the family of that father and daughter slain while searching for "spiritual awakening" in India are going to be feeling this year without their loved ones? I wonder what all the men and women's families who laid down their life for our country over the last year will be feeling this Christmas? I wonder what victims burned and flooded out of their homes will be feeling this Christmas? I'm thinking I should avoid the news for a while. I think I should instead be remembering why we should be celebrating this season, and snap out of it.

Maybe snow would help........

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post. As a family we picked a child off the angel tree to buy for that helps with the holiday spirit. Also having little Emma so excited about Santa really warms my heart this Holiday Season. You should read my Holiday Funnies blog it will cheer you up.

    ReplyDelete