Thursday, October 30, 2008

I hate ADHD!!

Okay, so when Brody was small, I avoided Hobby Lobby like the plague when he was with me. I wasn't sure what it was, but it sent him into a crying jag like you wouldn't believe. I attributed it to the time I maybe spent in there, but he didn't do it at any other craft/scrapbook store. Fast forward 9 yrs, and I can't go to McKays with Brody. I don't know if it's the stimulation and crowded corridors and funky looking people, or what, but he absolutely lost his mind there yesterday. Like, ran out of the bu idling while I was in line and stood by the car (a definite no-no). He even still holds my hand while crossing parking lots. I was astounded. Most especially as we were there to buy him a new PSP and a game. The meltdown occurred (in theory) because after having decided on a black one, he changed his mind and wanted the more expensive ($40 more) purple one. We had returned several video games/movies/books a couple of weeks ago and found them to be too expensive, and Lucas wasn't thrilled with losing his "stake" in the returns to solely benefit Brody. Well, for some reason I was feeling generous with the Bromister and announced that we were going to blow the whole yellow credit at McKays on my precious Bro. He was thrilled, until we got in there, and like the plague, this weirdness spread through him and he turned into this howling maniac. Literally, for 2 hours he screamed, beat his head on the van seats and alternately screamed at me and cried. After leaving McKays without me, I promptly returned the PSP and told him all bets were off. He spent the rest of the time until we got home screaming and crying like he was 2! I even had to call Larry a couple of times to either talk me or Brody down. We drove back to CSLA to wait for Lucas to finish basketball and he was crying so loudly everyone else parked in the back lot could hear him screaming and he didn't care. Larry thinks he is more emotional lately too. Of course, when we got home and he was being punished, straight to bed after homework, he was remorseful, and even drew these precious pictures and put them all over my bedroom while we were eating (Brody had Burger King right after school). It's so hard to believe that he and that boy in the car is one in the same. I hate ADHD and the swings in mood, the total refusal to be reasonable, the impulsiveness, etc. Again, I don't think this med is working, and guess I'm going to have to request it to be changed, AGAIN, but I know that Larry isn't ever on board about the meds. We have a meeting this afternoon with his and Lucas' teachers, so I'm anxious to hear what they have to say. More to come about this!!!!

Brody has a football game tonight, and Lucas has basketball practice. During both, we have conferences with teachers. I came in one hour early and am staying one hour late today so I can leave work at 1:00 tomorrow and get Lucas from home to basketball practice at 2:00. I think it's ridiculous that they call practice on a day off from school. If I didn't have such an understanding boss, he would just have to miss it. How do other parents do it? Larry wouldn't drive from East Brainerd to Middle Valley to get him tomorrow and then what am I supposed to do with Brody while Lucas is practicing? I need a break!!!!

Well, that's all for now. I can't wait for Halloween tomorrow. I'll try to post pictures of the boys as they dress up!

Have a good day!
Shari

1 comment:

  1. James totally loved this!!! I don't think it was the situation that was as funny as the way you describe it! You're too funny! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete