Friday, October 10, 2008

Proud Mama

Okay, so yesterday I said that I thought Lucas might have won a essay contest at school, and HE DID! I can't tell you how proud I am of him. He has always excelled in sports, but there is something about seeing your child being recognized for his brain when it usually is all about the brawn. He took it pretty much with a grain of salt, but I was so proud, you would have thought he won the Nobel Peace Prize (someday?). He won a great UT sweatshirt and really loved that. What I learned through this process is that we really shouldn't pigeon hole kids. I never dreamed that he could have written so eloquently about college and what it holds for him. I'm sure I push him academically, knowing that he isn't going to make sports his career, but I think in my mind, I thought that sports is where his self esteem was going to come from. What a misconception to think that just because he is good in sports, he wouldn't succeed at other things as well. I wonder how many other missed opportunities there have been to show Lucas how smart, funny and giving he is? I'll be on the lookout with both of my kids from now on.

I took Brody to my mom's last night to wait for Lucas after basketball practice. Bro's football practice was cancelled, so we thought it would be a short night, but I was wrong. Mom is going to hem some pants for Bro so he will have something to wear when the weather turns cold. Luckily I saved some things that Lucas never wore with the tags still on them. I'm so thankful for those times when you look ahead and then find that it pays off! I really appreciate her doing it. I never learned those homemaking arts, so she is gracious to take care of that for me. Bro was really good last night. Chick-Fil-A has a fundraiser for the kids school every Thursday night where the school gets a part of the proceeds of our families or others who identify themselves as a CSLA family. I wasn't planning on going, and he was bummed, but held it together pretty well. After practice we were all starving and the other kids were going, so we went as well. It was a really good time. Teachers and parents were all there in a really relaxed mode since there was no school the next day and fall break was here! I really am glad I went and it was good to see the kids exhale.

Thankfully, today is going to be a light day, even if it kills me! I only have one bra fitting late in the day, and got all my phone follow-up's done yesterday. I hate to go out of town feeling like I've dumped on my coworkers. No sports today!!! I'm leaving here this afternoon, getting the van washed, going home and packing and then to bed by 8:30 or 9:00. The plan is to get up around 4:00 and just leave. We'll shower and get beautiful after we get there, but I just don't want to waste the whole day driving.

I'm really kind of sad about leaving Larry. He is quieter than normal (and usually he is in a coma) so this is concerning. I know he would do the dance of joy if I told him we changed our minds and decided to stay home, but I feel really strongly about being alone with the kids. Not alone without him, I'd be happy for him to go, just alone our family. I have to admit, there is some stress reduction knowing it will just be me and the kids. Pray they don't fight the whole time. This drives me nuts, particularly in the van. I am going to let them hook up their games, so I pray the drive will be quiet and quick.

I don't guess you'll hear from me until I get back. I hope to have great memories to share and some good pics. Again, please pray for safety and great weather.

Go Vols!

Shari

2 comments:

  1. Yay, Lucas!!!!! That's awesome.
    Have fun on your trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that you are blogging...and only you would have a page that looks like a PERFECT scrapbook page! Fabulous! Enjoy your time with the boys! Praying that it is a peaceful and delightful time! See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete