Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tired, tired and more tired

Okay, so I know I have titled this "The Crazy Hicks Family" for a reason, but I swear, it's getting to me today. I ran myself ragged yesterday, SICK. I actually called in sick at work, and then, didn't have one minute to even go home and lay down.



My day started out taking the boys to a doctors appointment that had been scheduled for months. Lucas had his 13 yr old physical a little early. He is 5' 8.5" and weighs 152. His blood pressure was a little high, but the doctor said it was probably d/t her being a female and him being in his underwear! He had some protein in his urine that I'm freaked out about, but the doctor said it was probably normal and I needed to retest it later this week. She also looked at his knees which had been giving him a lot of trouble recently. She said that it was classic Osgood Schlatter syndrome which causes inflammation on below the knee cap. She said it was an easy fix of rest, ice and Motrin. Here's the thing, should we or should we not let him continue playing basketball? She said she wouldn't, but that he could. She said that there shouldn't be any lasting repercussions from playing, other than pain and possible degeneration long term. Lucas said that there was no way he was "quitting", and that he would play through the pain. Is that wise? When should you step in and say, "you're 12, don't have a clue how much you need your knees in the future, and you're not playing"? Lord, this parent thing is hard. Larry and I haven't talked much about it as we haven't been in the same spot for long, so I don't know what his thinking is. I am supposed to get Lucas a brace for his knees today, and hopefully that will help with his pain. The doctor also said he was having muscle spasms in his neck, probably from stress. How in the heck do you wrap your mind around Lucas having stress? Are we pushing him too hard???? Is it school, sports, his crazy family or all of the above together. When is it time to put the brakes on this machine and say "ENOUGH"?

Brody just had a med check, and as usual, they screwed his ADHD meds up and wrote for the wrong milligram, so I have to go back today and pick it up and drop another one off at the pharmacy. I don't think that the Methyln is working great, but the doctor seemed reluctant to change him. I'm willing to let that ride until parent teacher conferences on Thursday of this week. Let's see what his teachers say first.

Lucas had his first basketball game against Normal Park last night, and it was a blood bath. Lucas has never really played basketball before, and NP killed us. It was like 35 to 16, I think. Lucas did score the first 2, and then got 2 more later, but they were not good. I hope they will improve. I had previously volunteered to "keep" study hall for the basketball team before the game. That was foolish on my part. These kids were not good. I mean, disrespectful and LOUD. I already felt like crap and then having to sit in there with them for 1 1/2 hrs, I was ready to scream! Then, during the game, the worst smelling family crammed in next to me. I was literally under this man's arm most of the game. He smelled of body odor, stale smoke and dirty feet. The entire family probably shared one strand of DNA and they were all very loud and inconsiderate. Listen, before any event when you might be sharing space with another human, bathe, don't smoke, brush your teeth and stay put. The kids in that family climbed, literally over me dozens of times, without so much as an excuse me, even from the adults. They were our opponents, and had very negative, racially charged comments about our students. I hated to let them know I was just blatantly listening to their conversation, so I kept quiet, but did feel bad about it later. Why don't people realize it's not about the color of your skin. I'm sure all the "non-whites" on the team were of better caliber and certainly cleaner than those lily white stinker's!

Brody played football against Avondale, and was in tears by the time he got to the car. He said the boys were cussing at him and yelling and being very physically aggressive after the plays.
Here is the explanation that the coach emailed me today:
Shari,
Yes, the game was pretty ugly last night. I considered forfeiting the game at half time but it was difficult to gage how all of the parents would feel about me doing that. Typically half would have supported me, and the other half would not have. So it was a difficult decision of how to handle the situation and keep everybody "happy". We DO NOT play them again. Our remaining schedule consist of the other two EB teams and then the playoffs.
We do not have practice tonight, and our next game is Thursday (10/30) at 7:15.
I apologize for the other teams behavior, and the refs were aware that some of that was going on, but couldn't eject or penalize players unless they heard it themselves.
Thanks,
Robb

Now bear in mind here that these are 9/10 year olds. Again, what is deal with people anymore? What are their parents doing? Where are they hearing this stuff? What parent on our team would have been mad for them to have forfeited the game that was going that south?? I was at the basketball game and Larry was there with Brody. I'm glad I wasn't there, because I would have probably pulled him from the game. I don't handle things like that well.

Well, that's about it for now. I am still feeling like crap today, but glad to be at work. I don't know what to do about any of the above, but just pray that everything will settle down soon. Many other "too personal to mention" things have to be decided soon, so keep me in your prayers.

Shari

2 comments:

  1. Poor Shari!! I hope things reach a calmer level of choas! I think things are busy while they are little, but it doesn't sound any better as they get older. I hate mean, rude, stinky kids! I am hoping to get the girls over to the hospital tomorrow. Emma has been a real challenge lately so pray for me too! By the way your blog is so festive I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Shari, that sounds rough. I'm so sorry! You're such a good mommy, though. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete